ImmuniTea - help make yourself immune to winter
A warming quartet of gentle herbs used traditionally as a tea for boosting immunity contains:
pp Elderflowers, Calendula heads, Lemon verbena leaves and Ginger root. Loose Tea 40g.
Place one generous teaspoon per person into a pot, add boiling water, allow to steep for 3-5 minutes, strain, add honey as required, enjoy!
Paddock Pantry Elderflowers, calendula heads, lemon verbena leaves and ginger root.
- Elderberry and Elderflower Extracts, Phenolic Compounds, and Metabolites and Their Effect on Complement, RAW 264.7 Macrophages and Dendritic Cells.
- RG-I regions from elderflower pectins substituted on GalA are strong immunomodulators.
- Effect of Phenolic Compounds from Elderflowers on Glucose- and Fatty Acid Uptake in Human Myotubes and HepG2-Cells Molecules 2017, 22(1), 90; suggesting potential activity in diabetes.
- The Traditional Plant Treatment, Sambucus nigra (elder), Exhibits Insulin-Like and Insulin-Releasing Actions In Vitro [The Journal of Nutrition, Volume 130, Issue 1, 1 January 2000, Pages 15–20, https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/130.1.15] Study reports traditional use against diabetes.
- Edible Flowers: A Rich Source of Phytochemicals with Antioxidant and Hypoglycemic Properties. The study concluded: "The hypoglycemic effects were investigated via the inhibition of α-amylase and α-glucosidase. Sambucus nigra exhibited the highest radical-scavenging activity (IC50 of 1.4 μg/mL), followed by Hedysarum coronarium (IC50 of 1.6 μg/mL). Both species contained high quercetin and rutin contents. S. nigra extract exerted the highest activity in preventing lipid oxidation."
- Effects of lemon verbena extract (Recoverben®) supplementation on muscle strength and recovery after exhaustive exercise: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial although the studies used a registered extract, the results suggest lemon verbena may improve recovery through improved cellular metabolism (lowered oxidative stress). Traditional use is indeed for stamina, nervousness and 'to refresh'.
- Lemon verbena (Lippia citriodora) polyphenols alleviate obesity-related disturbances in hypertrophic adipocytes through AMPK-dependent mechanisms. Yet another study suggesting the use of polyphenols to improve digestion and reduce obesity.
- Aloysia citrodora Paláu (Lemon verbena): A review of phytochemistry and pharmacology. A review into the essential oil component which is also present in the fresh and well-dried plant, recording its anxiolitic and nervous system calming effects .